Friday, October 13, 2006

Brown Sugar Cake

This brown sugar cake is a recipe from Tastes of Country, a cookbook by Frances A. Gillette. Almost every recipe I've tried from this cookbook has been fabulous--I highly recommend it if you can get your hands on a copy.

Quick Cake
A rich brown sugar taste. Rose Merne makes this cake often.

1/2 cup softened butter
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 2/3 cups flour
3 tsp. baking powder (info. on safe baking powder ) 
1 tsp. vanilla

Put ingredients into bowl in order given and do not stir until all have been added. Beat 3 minutes. Bake in buttered pan for 35-45 minutes at 350 degrees. Nuts or raisins may be added, if desired.


I sometimes cut down on the sugar a bit, and I always substitute rice milk for the milk. C & H brand brown sugar seems to be corn-free, and if you can't find corn-free vanilla you could substitute maple syrup or just leave it out.

Whole-wheat or an alternative flour could be used in this recipe. Depending on your needs, you could probably substitute shortening, margarine or oil for the butter and still get decent results.

This cake is wonderful by itself or with frosting, ice cream or whipped topping.

7 comments:

Karen said...

I just pulled this out of the oven and had a taste and it's SO good! Thanks for the recipe!

Broiled Hibiscus said...

I followed most of the ingredients but since I have whole wheat flour I then used 2/3 of it to the 1 -2/3 of the flour. I also added 1/4 cup of water.

Anonymous said...

it's baking! it smells so good! i added a bit more milk since the dough was too heavy.

Anonymous said...

I replaced butter with cannabutter and tasted delicious!

Bong said...

turned out best ever....so soft and the lovely brown on the top was a winner of hearts!

Anonymous said...

I love this recipe. I've had it bookmarked for years and I make it once a year. I need to copy it down in case this blog ever goes away.

Anonymous said...

Please someone tell me who is Rose Merne?? I have heard of that person assosiated with a chocolate chiffon cake! If someone knows please tell me where I can find the cook book thank you.